Hi, I’m Janis.
I am studying towards a master’s degree in computer science at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and am working part-time at the university’s data center (Steinbuch Centre for Computing, SCC) in the department “Networks and Telecommunication”. While developing software for SCC’s own IPAM, I also administrate Linux servers and network infrastructure for serveral student dormitories in Karlsruhe (>2000 tenants).
As a freelancer, I give seminars and host individual server setups.
I love fiddeling around with embedded computers, servers, storage, network hardware and everything associated with those things.
My hobbies include making (wood, laser cutter, 3D printers, simple PCBs using KiCad) and traveling (preferably by train).
I am always open for new and diverse topics and projects :) Feel free to contact me.
Study and Work
- Article about the WiFi network “KIT-IoT” using Aruba’s MPSK (SCC News 2021/1, Page 22, German)
- Article about the new version of SCC’s IPAM “NETVS” (SCC News 2020/2, Page 9, German)
- Talk @ Chaos Communication Camp 2019 about severe security vulnerabilities I found in a cashless payment system. I also wrote my Bachelor’s Thesis (to be disclosed soon) about this analysis.
- Press release of a school where I gave a seminar in context of the project “MakerBox” by the “Landesvereinigung Kulturelle Jugendbildung (LKJ) Baden-Wuerttemberg”, which “implements programmes and projects for cultural and media-supported youth education. It is a state-wide umbrella organisation and represents the interest of cultural educational work with children and youths in Baden-Wuerttemberg”.
- Slides I created for two very basic seminars about using and administrating Linux (German, commissioned work)